While I’m not a fan of resolutions, I do believe in always trying to do better, and the idea of having a one-word resolution helps me focus on my choices for the year. It is easier to set goals in every area of life that we may need to change as the world suddenly changes on us.
We don’t need a special day to make a change in our lives whether it’s Monday or New Year, but the sign of New Year provides us. Measurable timeframe for development And that’s why it can feel so powerful. What we measure changes!
Idea to pick a word for the year It works by providing an emotional connection to our goals while allowing flexibility.
Example: If your goal is to run a marathon and break your leg, it will be very difficult to succeed…but if your word is DETERMINATION, you will be more motivated to continue to find ways to stay active. So you can jump back. In training while you recover.
Words have power. Even a single word can have great meaning when used correctly. Allow yourself to be open to the possibilities of this word. in your life.
Why I’m Tired of Traditional Goals
Anyone else tired?
Every day I’m working to improve myself, my life, my home, and my work…I just don’t have the energy to keep up with big goals. I start to feel weighed down by the MUST lists that are made from being one. Smart goal For every walk of life.
Not to say that I think goals are bad, just that I need something different now. I need less pressure and more guidance to make choices every day to create the life I want..
That’s why I’ve wholeheartedly embraced choosing one word to guide my year.
What a One Word Resolution Can Do for You
In 2023, knock off that long list of goals that you’ll probably forget in a few weeks! Instead, choose one word to focus on each day.
That word will become a compass that guides your actions, decisions and next steps in life. It takes intention and commitment, but if you let this word integrate into your life, it will shape your entire year and you.
A word resolution will move you in the right direction by adding more focus and awareness to your intentions.
It may feel like just one word, but that one word can be incredibly powerful to use for your New Year’s resolution.
How to Choose Your One Word Resolution
Ali Edwards really started this movement and she has a great creative class if you want to check it out – I think she explains the concept very well:
“cA celebration of progress rather than perfectionabout the power of focusing on one word and the impact it can have in your life, about how small moments create patterns in our lives, about thinking about your future when you make decisions today. , about how your own journey is important, about how to return to your own life story as an active participant, about learning what you need most from yourself. Need, and The power to return to your original intentions again and again as a means of reflection and moving forward.”
Maybe you’re still making progress on goals and that’s great or maybe you’re looking for something different this year and if so here are a few things to help you focus. .
- Journal on how you want to feel
- Pick out some of these words and look them up
- Do they resonate with you?
- Does a certain word excite you?
- Can you find a bracelet, wall hanging, or something else that will keep you focused all year long?
For example, one-word resolutions.
A few words I’ve used in the past:
peace
At first blush I’d say the word worked only a little, but that’s not entirely true. It helped me continue to try meditation in big and small ways throughout the year. It helped me find ways to slow down, enjoy the present moment, and know that everything is working out.
However, because I didn’t always feel like I could actively do something about my word it started to feel limiting and I realized I was adopting another word: Courage.
the aim
This word has served me well all year! It allowed me to say no to things that weren’t fulfilling my long-term vision and to be open about things that I had rejected in the past. It kept me focused when I was in a really entrepreneurial mood and I was amazed at what I did.
Your “Word of the Year” Not microwaveable — that is, choose a word, set a timer, and “Bang!” – You show it! Your word is meant to teach you about yourself. It will often teach you how to block your attraction and thwart your creative powers. It sometimes teaches you the opposite. – Christine Kane
love
I wanted something to express these thoughts:
- Doing a little more than is asked
- Caring for others
- Be kind to yourself
- Avoiding criticism (or handling it better!)
- Keep eating and running intuitively
Then I went to bed last night, opened my favorite book from Louise Hay and found this:
At the center of my being is an infinite well of love. I now let this love flow to the surface – it fills my heart, my body, my mind, my consciousness, my being and flows out in all directions and returns to me multiplied.
The more love I use and give, the more I have to give – the supply is endless.
I love myself; therefore, I take care of my body with love.. I lovingly feed him nutritious food and drinks. I dress and dress her with love, and my body lovingly responds to me with vibrant health and energy.
I love myself; Therefore, I provide a comfortable home for myself, which fulfills all my needs and is a pleasure to live in. I fill rooms with waves of love. That all who enter, including myself, may feel and be nourished by this love.
I love myself; therefore, I work at a job that I really enjoy.that uses my creativity and talents, works with and with people I love and who love me, and earns a good income.
I love myself; therefore, I treat and think lovingly towards all people. – Because I know that what I give out comes back to me many times over. I only attract loving people into my world, because they are a reflection of who I am.
I love myself; therefore, I live fully now.Cherishing every moment and knowing that my future is bright and happy and safe – because I am the beloved child of the universe, and the lover of the universe cares for me and forever.
love
I never would have picked it up without reading the passage because it brings to mind Hallmark moments and while that’s great too, it’s big.
The dance
I want to spend more time. Doing my happy dance, which is a weird thing I picked up from a friend I’ve known since kindergarten. Of course I look silly doing it, but couldn’t care less when something is so spectacular it warrants dancing.
I want to spend more time. Jamming out in the car With the windows rolled down, the wind in my hair and strangers wondering what great song I was listening to (The clue could be Blake Shelton or Outcast!).
I want to spend more time remembering my motto.”I don’t know these peopleThat usually puts an end to my concerns. Sounds crazy!
“Do a loonie dance
‘Cross the kitchen floor,
Put something stupid in the world
Which was not there before.“
– Shel Silverstein, A light in the attic
I want to spend more time. Hugging my husbandA random Tuesday night slow dance.
I want to spend. More time flies Throughout the day instead of pushing.
I want to spend more time with happiness like a A child is always surprised in the world
I want to choose. Work that lights me up. For all the right reasons.
Other one word solution ideas
Here is a list of words that can help you think and find the right one for you:
- Change
- mirror
- Embrace
- Transfer
- grace
- take rest
- Persistence
- point of view
- Forward
- This determination
- to climb
- The rest
- Current
- Progress
- adaptation
- Organize.
- growth
- Unconstrained
- Make it easy
- Development
- Empower
- discovery
- connect
- Commitment
- Change
- to terminate
What to do after taking a word resolution
Once you choose a word for yourself, fully embrace it. Set up reminders throughout your home, maybe even make it your phone’s home screen or wallpaper.
You can even find some artwork that reminds you of its meaning or post sticky notes with the word around your home or work.
Remind yourself of one word positively and use it as a mantra, prayer, or maybe even a song. Find what works for you and then fully embrace that word.
In the past I have:
- Bought a bracelet with the word engraved on it.
- Bought a small sign that I put near my desk with the word.
- Throughout the year I looked for this word as my little sign that I was on track.
- Spend time journaling about what that word means to you and how you want to embody it.
- Each week write a note at the top of your planner about how you will spend that word that week.
- Continue to make sure it feels good! Like I said, a year in I realized I needed a different word and that’s okay too.
Need some extra mental training?
Check out these posts:
Other ways to connect with Amanda
Pinterest for all my inspiration: RunToTheFinish
Tweet me, I’m always there: RunToTheFinish
Get new posts via Bloglove

0 Comments