Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

Wanderlust See Taos Ski Valley Through Amie Engerbretson's Eyes

[ad_1]


Ski with world-renowned ski professional (and country & western dance phenom!) Amie Engerbretson at Winterlust 2022 in Taos Ski Valley. She’ll lead each day free ski periods geared that can assist you discover stability, rhythm and beauty on the slopes, and she or he’ll host a hearth chat in help of our official non-profit, Shield Our Winters, concerning the intersection of journey and affect. Be part of us at Winterlust.



Think about standing atop a jagged mountain peak, ski suggestions hanging over a steep, packed powder, tree run. Wind kissing your cheeks with crystals of blowing snow whereas watching the deep crimson sundown over the expansive Taos Desert and Rio Grande Gorge. You are feeling like you're standing on the convergence of two worlds. Below your boots, the Sangre de Cristo Mountains rugged and snow lined, and just under, a Southwestern fairytale of crimson rocks, mud and heat colours. Is that this a dream you have to be questioning? A view like this have to be the makings of the inside thoughts’s fantasyland. No… that is Taos Ski Valley.  


Amie Engerbretson. Taos NM

Amie Engerbretson in Taos NM by Liam Doran


Taos Ski Valley is a real hidden gem. When most individuals consider snowboarding, New Mexico just isn't often the primary location that involves thoughts. My first time snowboarding Taos was in 2011 and I used to be competing in my first ever, huge mountain competitors. I had by no means been there, I didn’t know anybody and I used to be a bundle of nerves. I had no concept what to anticipate and whereas the small print of the competitors, no I didn’t win, and the reminiscences of the folks I partied with that night time, might need all light, what caught was the reminiscence of a magical mountain with terrain like I had by no means seen. When buddy and photographer Liam Doran gave me a name and requested me to affix him and fellow skier Sven Brunso in Taos for per week final winter, I unhappy sure with no thought. I had been ready to get again there for almost 10 years. 


ernie rhoda blake

Ernie & Rhoda Blake at Taos Ski Valley


Taos Ski Valley was based in 1955 by Ernie Blake and his spouse Rhoda. The resort boasts 1,294 acres of ski in a position terrain and 14 lifts, together with the brand new Kachina Peak elevate that takes you to Kachina Peak, looming at 12,481 toes above sea stage, accessing a number of the steepest and most rugged inbounds terrain within the US. Once I was right here almost a decade in the past, this terrain was solely accessible by way of an hour-long boot again. In my view, Taos affords a number of the finest elevate accessed terrain that I've ever discovered! Sure, Kachina Peak is the crown jewel with steep pitches, tight rocky chutes and technical terrain that's often smoothed over with buttery wind buffed hero snow, however each nook and cranny you discover affords a brand new journey. The tree snowboarding is great. Limitless tree runs, with completely spaced glades which can be steep, and I imply steep. One run, following Madeline Kelty from advertising, I actually referred to as out 3 completely different instances, “I can’t consider this run remains to be going!”


Down the canyon highway from Taos Ski Valley is the city of Taos, New Mexico. This city is true out of a South Western storybook you have got probably imagined with artwork outlets, spas, non secular outposts and unbelievable meals. The entire space has an aura to it, a hidden magic of some form. The resort itself is surrounded by sacred lands of the Puebloan folks. These lands are protected and stored wild. It's unimaginable to not let the magic and eccentric vitality trickle into your soul. I suppose that's the reason after I woke as much as what appeared to be a miracle storm of 30+ inches in a single day and nonetheless dumping, I wasn’t that shocked. 


Amie Engerbretson. Taos NM

Amie Engerbretson in Taos NM, by Liam Doran


Over the following two days it continued to snow and man did we now have a very good time. There was snow actually as much as our eyeballs and we had been lapping the steep bushes so fervently, time fully warped and blended in my thoughts. What could possibly be higher than bottomless pow, with free refills, on steep completely positioned tree runs? The abundance of snow and lack of individuals was unbelievable. As of late, snowboarding can appear to be you're in a herd of cattle and whether it is good, everybody one, actually everyone seems to be there. At Taos, not a lot. The busiest days at Taos will carry far fewer skiers than most of the huge resorts of the west, and with the huge terrain, you're feeling like you're snowboarding with just some of your mates and a few pleasant, ripping locals. 


It really felt like a miracle that week in Taos. The sundown, the pow, the terrain, the meals and the folks. In contrast to some other place I've ever visited on my skis. I wish to say that I'm fortunate to have felt and skilled the magic of Taos. The reality is, I don’t assume I'm that particular. In Taos the magic touches all those that search it, or search to ski it that's. 



Amie_Engerbretson_profile_pic_2


Amie Engerbretson is an expert skier and lover of mountains, cats and smiles. The seed of ardour for snowboarding and journey was planted on the slopes of Palisades Tahoe and has grown into a way of life and profession that has taken her across the globe, being featured in lots of ski media retailers and sharing her passions with the world. Onerous work and a powerful spirit mixed along with her dedication to her craft have enabled Amie to pursue her desires, whereas holding her within the quick lane, with a everlasting smile on her face. Watch her showcase her nation dance strikes (along with her father!) on this latest quick movie shot in Jackson, WY referred to as “Boots over Brim“.


Website | Instagram




[ad_2]

Source link

Post a Comment

0 Comments