It all started many years ago. I’ve basically been overweight or a bit chubby throughout my teenage years. When I was younger it wasn’t a big problem because I was active and played sports. Once I entered high school, I moved away from sports and into art. I was less active but still loved to eat.
By the time I was 18 and in my first year of college (2012), I had reached 200lbs. It was then that I met my current husband. We often went out to eat and otherwise stayed home, so the pounds just kept piling on and on. I have many events that could have been “eye-openers” and motivated me to lose weight, such as being kicked off an amusement park ride because of my size, barely wearing my seat belt on an airplane, And not fitting in at my weight. wedding dress
None of them did anything to change me. It wasn’t until 3mos before I got pregnant that I decided enough was enough. I had reached an alarming 307lbs, and at 5’3”, I knew that meant I was obese. I did my research on losing weight because I was so afraid that my size would complicate my chances of getting pregnant.
I first found out about Cato and Pigeon in the Deep End. Within 3mos, I lost 45lbs and got pregnant very quickly. I didn’t continue with keto during my pregnancy and wasn’t planning on starting it again. After giving birth and going back up to 270lbs, I had some high blood pressure issues that I was really concerned about since I was only 25.
I knew I had to make some serious changes and get back into the keto lifestyle, especially because I had to be there for my little girl. I got back on keto when he was about 6 months old and he has lost a total of 118 lbs from his heaviest weight. My high blood pressure went away, and I was able to take medication for it.
I’m down to 189lbs and have also increased my activity. I am now able to run a non-stop 5K race and plan to do one every month next year. My journey is not over. I have some more weight to lose, and may or may not consider skin removal surgery in the future. My health is now a priority because my daughter is my top priority. This keto journey started about that and will continue to be about that.


1. What tactics did you use to help you reach your goal? What helped you best achieve your goals?
Tracking macros and body measurements. I used the Ruled.me keto macros calculator to find out and then started tracking them in MyFitnessPal. Gradually I switched to the other side Keto Apps. Body Measurements helped me see body changes as I lost inches.
2. What is the most impactful change you have made to your diet and why do you feel it is the most important?
I still struggle with it sometimes, but overall I’ve learned to stop binging. It makes me sick to think about the amount of food I used to sneak in one sitting, hiding the takeout boxes (yes plural) later so my husband wouldn’t judge me.
3. What is the best advice you can give to someone just starting out?
Stay with him. Push through the urge to eat carbs, push through the creepy keto flu, push through negative comments from friends and co-workers. Just stick with it for a while until you start seeing results.
4. How do you feel your life is now that you are on your goal?
My quality of life is much better. People, friends and family on social media have been asking me for advice and guidance on their weight loss journey. My confidence has shot through the roof. I’m able to run a 5K, something I was never able to do even in my active years in middle school.
5. What do you consider the biggest change in your daily life?
The biggest change in my daily life is that I don’t eat breakfast all day. I used to have my desk drawer at work full of sweets, sour candies, chocolates and many bags of chips. I literally can’t do it anymore. If I want a snack right now, I make sure I pack some almonds or pecans, or sometimes I treat myself to a homemade keto cookie.
6. What did you do to get help throughout your journey?
To find help, I made myself really vulnerable and shared my journey on social media. My Instagram is usually about my weight loss journey, with a few selfies and adorable photos of my daughter and husband. I searched various keto hashtags and actually commented on others’ posts and asked for help if they posted about something I was unaware of, like slow keto vs. dirty keto vs. strict. Cato.
7. What do you currently do to manage your daily diet?
I currently track my macros (net carbs, fat, and protein). I use an app and stick to 25 net carbs or less. I’ve allowed myself a few more cheat meals recently but I know my body doesn’t necessarily agree with them, so I have to cut them down.
8. What is your favorite keto recipe from www.ruled.me that has become a staple?
My favorite recipes on Ruled.me are jalapeño popper soup and bacon cheeseburger soup. I love using both my crock pot and instant pot, and both are great for making my house smell amazing as it simmers.
9. If you could do one thing differently during your trip, what would it be and why?
If I could do anything differently, I would listen to my body more than the opinions of others. I have lost over 115lbs. I no longer have to take medication for high blood pressure. Keto works for me and I know it, so why bother yourself with others who just don’t understand?
0 Comments